Saturday, May 14, 2011

At a crossroads...

As the title of this post would suggest, I am facing a fork in the road. As everyone knows (mainly, because I won’t shut the hell up about it!), I have recently released the first ten chapters of my web serial Independence Day as an ebook. I’ve done a lot of thinking about this, and I feel as though this is where I need to be. This is where I need to market my material. This is what I want to do.

I am strongly considering doing away with Independence Day as a web serial and continuing the story in ebook form only. This, of course, would mean there would not be chapter by chapter updates anymore, and that the website would no longer be accessible. I understand there are a few who might question my decision on this, but I am trying to look ahead. This is a story I long intended to try and publish, and the more I learn about traditional publishing, the more I question whether or not I have a snowball’s chance in hell. Also, as many of you are aware, I’ve had my issues with the current state of web fiction for some time. Perhaps this is not where my story belongs – perhaps this is never where my story belonged. Perhaps I just need to cut my losses on the whole idea of webfic and move forward.

I will admit, I am about 75% sold on the idea…but I’m still interested in input. How do you all feel about this? What would you do in my shoes? I will state now, on the record, that I do intend to charge for subsequent volumes of the ebook, after giving them all a thorough edit (I have my list of things to rework already!) However, I am not doing this for the sole reason of making money because quite frankly, I don’t need the money. I have a stable life and any money made would only be extra cash…a dividend, if you will. This decision is not motivated by money – it is motivated by my desire to give this story the platform I have always felt it deserved.

Again, though, I’m open to other views. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any angles I might not have looked at? Any concerns about the transition from webfic to ebook? Comment and let me know. Let’s talk about this, and let’s see if we can make the best decision for this book together.

2 comments:

  1. I'd say do your research and be thorough. I just announced myself that I'm making a move to start publishing my own books based off the stuff I'm sharing online. But there's a difference to the way I present it online and the way I'd present it in a novel that I hand over to a reader to read at once.

    But I don't have any specific thoughts for you or your story itself. You can always keep it free if money is not the concern. But don't expect more from it just because you put it into a novel to share. You still have to market and work your butt off to get your name out there.

    This is Lunar, by the way. It you want, feel free to email me at loudquietgirl at gmail.com. We can talk more honestly if you want, in private. Because I'd have questions about your motivations and why you'd want to take this step. Plus, I have managed to gather a lot of info on self publishing, and I'm happy to share.

    ReplyDelete