Monday, June 27, 2011

I am not (repeat: not) a hack writer

^ What that says.

I am only beginning to embark on the next phase of my writing career, with the release of two ebooks. This, however, does not mean that I began to write yesterday, or that I do not know what I'm doing. I've been writing fiction since I was ten years old and I'd like to think over the 19 years that have passed, I've gotten pretty damn good at it. I'm not going to profess to be a literary genius, and I can't lie about knowing everything there is to know about grammar (I did drop out in 9th grade, y'all)...BUT, I know quite a bit about storytelling, creating interesting characters and proper sentence structure. I strongly object to being dismissed as someone who knows nothing, simply because I have only just started in this realm - or because I have published anything in this realm at all.

Independent writers are not all bad, just like webfiction writers are not all bad. There are going to be some shitty things written and posted, with incorrect punctuation and lots of misspelled/misused words, sure. But you know what? For every story that you find that contains those monstrosities, you'll find at least three more that do not.

Think before you speak - and make sure you know what you're talking about before you lump anyone into a category you obviously have no idea about.

No comments:

Post a Comment