Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Enigma Rises: The Next Big Blog Thing


The Next Big Thing is a blog project designed to help writers get the word out about their latest works. Author Glenn Walker tagged me, and I'll be tagging someone at the end of those Q&A, and she'll be doing her own blogs about their work next week. Check 'em all out.

1. What is the title of your current book?

Independence Day, Book Three (ah, the long awaited book three!): Innocent. The subtitle comes from the "theme song" of this book, Innocent, by Our Lady Peace.

2. Where did the idea for the story come from?

This is the third part in a planned five part series, centering on a murder mystery in a small town. The original idea (and incarnation of this work) came when I was 14 years old. Not sure what inspired me directly, but I'm pretty sure it was something awesome to create something that still endures (in some form or another) today.

3. What genre does the book fall under?

Mystery, suspense, drama, even soap opera…but not the tired, over the top soap opera style. I sort of liken this work as a novelization of The Edge of Night, which was originally conceived to be a soap opera version of Perry Mason.

4. What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie?

Funny you should ask that, because before this series became a book series, it was actually web fiction and I did "cast" the characters using images of classic actors. Unfortunately, half of those people are now dead (and the ones that aren't are far too old to play these characters today), so I guess I'd have to start from scratch.

I'm not really sure which current stars would be the best fit for these roles. The only one I can say with certainty would be David Boreanaz as Shane. That's something my mom originally pointed out, while watching Bones, and I have to agree. There is something about him that just exudes Shane in that role. For the rest, I have no idea.

5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your story?

The killer is closer than they know.

6. Is your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

Self published.

7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?

I'm still working on it. I can hopefully have it done in the next few months!

8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

I really don't wish to compare myself in any form to any other book, especially those that might carry this genre off far better than I have! :)

9. Who or what inspired you to write this story?

Well, as I said, originally, this was written when I was 14 years old. However, I began to rewrite it several years later, at the urgings of my mother. It was always something I wanted to expound upon, since I didn't really do the original idea justice at the time. I wanted to really see if I could carry off the suspense genre, as well as if I could complete a story (something I have truly never done before; all my prior writings were serialized and they all continued on until I grew bored with them!)

10. What else about the book might pique a reader's interest?

Just how long it's taken to write it, though I don't know if that will end up being a good thing or not. I originally planned to have this book out last year sometime, and now, it looks like it might not be available until Spring at the earliest. I hope that those that enjoyed the first two installments will stick around and enjoy what book three has in store!

----

As far as tagging goes, I had a very, very rough time finding writers that had not already done this! Fortunately, though, I found one: Ms. Taabia Dupree, who is going to be bringing you her answers next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment